What You Need
1 tbsp olive oil
½ small onion, finely chopped
400g can diced tomatoes
¼ cup (60mL) water
150g beef mince
2 tbsp finely chopped onion, extra
½ small carrot, grated
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley Spray oil for cooking
1/3 cup (30g) small pasta
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add onion, cook 2 minutes or until just tender; add tomatoes and water; bring to the boil; simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mince, extra onion, carrot and parsley in a small bowl; mix well; shape into nine mini meatballs; heat a medium frying pan over high heat; spray with oil; add meatballs, cook just until well browned.
- Add meatballs to sauce; simmer a further 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to packet directions. Drain; serve with 3 meatballs and 1/3 of the sauce.
- Remaining sauce and meatballs can be divided in half and frozen for later use.
- Sauce makes 3 serves; for each serve, cook 1/3 cup (30g) small pasta.
- Add ½ cup (60g) frozen peas to sauce when the meatballs are added.