Simple crayons can make beautiful art - and not just by drawing with them! Line up some wax crayons, rainbow-style, blast them with a hairdryer and they’ll melt into a colourful artwork that you can hang on the wall.
Here is what you need:
- Wax crayons - enough to line the length of your canvas.
- Artist’s canvas - whatever size you prefer.
- Hot glue gun.
- Drop sheet or old newspaper to catch any mess.
- Pick out the colours you want to use and line them up across the top of the canvas.
- A rainbow colour pattern is made here. Of course you can try this with different colour patterns instead of a rainbow.
- Using a glue gun, squeeze a line of glue across the crayons.
- Quickly place the crayons on the canvas in a line, as shown below, with tips facing down.
- Line the floor with a piece of newspaper, place the canvas against a wall, and get your blow drying on.
- You can start out on high and warm settings and alternate with low at certain points. You may have to experiment a little to see how your hair dryer works with melting the wax. It sometimes splatters a little, so be sure to cover the floor and surrounding wall with newspaper, and turn to a lower setting if needed.
- Once the wax starts melting, move the dryer around as needed to prevent splattering and so the wax drips straight down. Voila! Now you have a fun piece of art to hang on your wall.
Great to promote creativity and for some quality time with your treasured little souls (or to keep the cheeky ones occupied!!)
Graney, M. (2020, May 14). DIY melted crayon art on canvas. Retrieved from https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/crayon-art-4171505